Monday, April 30, 2012

Quick Fix for a Casual Spaghetti Strap Dress


Alright everyone, I would like you to meet my cousin. She had found this dress at the thrift store, but, as you can see, it was not exactly modest :) Anyways, here is what we did to fix it. First we cut off the straps.


Then stitched down the back where the zipper was (which means this works a whole lot better if your dress is a bit big on you) and cut that off.

Our next step was to take a regular t-shirt (no point in getting an elaborate one really as you're only going to see a little bit of it). You try the t-shirt on, mark where the dress needs to sit, pin the two together







 

and stitch along the top of the dress. Then because you don't want the t-shirt to unravel you need to zig-zag over the stitch you just made (I used the zig-zag stitch to attach some cute trim, but forgot to take a pic of that... however, you can see the trim in the finished project).


Then cut off all of the un-needed part of the t-shirt - no point in having more layers than you have too.


And here we have the finished product :)


Here's another variation on the same idea. I had this strapless dress that was simply too short, but I thought it would make a cute shirt.


I sewed it to a white t-shirt. Figured how long I needed to keep it and cut the rest off.

Then I hemmed the bottom - by evenly folding up the bottom once, fold it over again and sew along the bottom.








And here that is.



1 comment:

  1. I love the black and white one!! Emily, you are good at what you do!

    ReplyDelete